Multi And Biracial SUNSHINE PEOPLE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biracial And Multiracial People Arts Business History News And More.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How to Replace Negative Thoughts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How to Replace Negative Thoughts Empty How to Replace Negative Thoughts Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:15 pm

Goldebony

Goldebony

The 2-column exercise
When you’re ready to start facing your unhelpful thoughts, the two-column exercise is a great place to start.

First, pull out a journal and create two columns. On the left-hand side, write out all your current negative or unhelpful thoughts. Don’t overthink them. Just jot down as many as you can.

In the right-hand column, write between one and three counterarguments. This can help you get some distance from the part of the mind, or inner critic, coming up with the automatic thoughts, and “You” observing those thoughts and doing the healing work.

Consider writing your unhelpful thoughts in quotation marks. This might help you start to view them as thoughts, like the hundreds of other thoughts that run through your mind each day, rather than absolute truths.

This exercise in action may look like:

Unhelpful thought Helpful thought
“This is too hard for me.” This is new, and I am learning.
“I am the worst at this.” I’m not the best at it, and I’m not the worst either. I am somewhere in between.
“I’m a bad person.” I have value. That’s something I would tell someone I care about.
“I made a massive mistake and everyone saw it. “ I had a human moment. Even if someone noticed, I know they’ve made mistakes too. No one will remember tomorrow.
“I can’t do this.” I can do this, but I might need to step back and take a breather first.
“I am not good enough.” I am good enough; it’s just that my imposter syndrome is making me feel like I’m not.
“Nobody likes me.” I am loved by my friends, my partner, my parents, my pets…
“I’m alone.” I’m not alone; I have myself.
“I’m a failure.” If I didn’t make that mistake, I wouldn’t have known how to grow. I know what to do differently next time.
“I’m having a breakdown.” This feels like a breakdown, but it might be part of a breakthrough.
When you’re done, consider hanging some of your positive thoughts in a place where you’ll see them, like a bathroom mirror or a Post-it note on your desk.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum